'Stott lantern' & date stone at The Manor House, Stanton
The green glass 'Stott lantern' and date stone of The Manor House, Stanton, Gloucestershire. Dated 1678, it has multiple gables and tall, diagonally-set chimneys.
The lantern is one of many installed around the village by the Arts & Crafts era architect Phillip Stott. Stott moved to Stanton in the 1920's. He was a tremendous local benefactor, renovating much of Stanton village just as Ashbee's Guild of Handicraft had renovated Chipping Campden's buildings two decades earlier. He lived at The Vyne whilst re-modelling the Jacobean Stanton Court. The Court generated its own electricity which powered all the Stott lanterns in the village (see other images in this gallery).
Date taken: 22 June 2010.