The Manor House, Stanton, Gloucestershire
The Manor House, Stanton, Gloucestershire, dated 1678, with its multiple gables and tall, diagonally-set chimneys, seen in early morning light.
Above the door is a green glass 'Stott lantern', one of many installed around Stanton village by the Arts & Crafts era architect Phillip Stott. Stott moved to Stanton in the 1920's. He was a tremendous local benefactor, renovating much of Stanton village just as Ashbee's Guild of Handicraft had renovated Chipping Campden's buildings two decades earlier. He lived at The Vyne whilst re-modelling the Jacobean Stanton Court. The Court generated its own electricity which powered all the Stott lanterns in the village (see other images in this gallery).
Date taken: 22 June 2010.